The Catch 22 of Fear of AbandonmentTue, Oct 17th 2006
Dear Anne -- I had not been seeking to diagnose my "on again-off again" girlfriend, but your Q&A Borderline Girlfriend really resonated with me. In short, my own girlfriend would periodically deny, disclaim and distance herself from our otherwise very intimate four year relationship, leaving me devastated each time. But the point of this letter is that I don't understand what drew me back again (and again) to this emotional version musical chairs game? "Dependent personality disorder" seems the most fitting label for me, as I seem to be all too willing to self-sacrifice (in all senses) in order to maintain a relationship with my partner. So, without going into childhood causes, etc., my question for you is: What self-help regime do you recommend for me to help me overcome my fear of abandonment while protecting my boundaries within intimate relationships? Thanks for your advice.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.