Trauma and Drama: Why are friends and family rejecting me? Fri, Jan 16th 2009
Dear Anne, I am afraid this may have the tone of venting because the most recent catalyst happened just today. I just had someone who until now I would have called a friendly acquaintance (I'll refer to her as Sam) behave in a totally unprepossessing manner toward me. We were the first two people to get to our classroom today, so I said "Hi, what're you up to lady?"... she said none of my business, in a rude way. OK, I went through an entire class after this, and, because this was out of character, after class I asked her calmly why she was having a problem with me, and she went off about how she'd had a problem with me for the last 6 months and she wasn't going to be my new crutch (this comment was based on a friendship that she only witnessed the end of.)
This and other events in my life force me to conclude that almost all people tending toward type A personalities, view me as emotionally weak. I am not weak... I admit am not strong.. I am human, I have had my problems and I feel that I have the right to have them, and I am sick of people condemning me for it; my sister, the ex-friend, who Sam is basing her conclusions on, and now... Sam.
I recently lost my father, I have spent two years attending counseling, and trying different medications for chemical depression and anxiety problems, and although I am aware that these are only the actions of three people; I feel targeted, and not really sure how to handle the situation, much less how to improve it. So I would appreciate a fresh and neutral eye.
THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION WILL NOT BE DISPLAYED UNTIL YOU HAVE INDICATED YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THE DISCLAIMER PRINTED JUST BELOW. CLICK THE 'I AGREE' BUTTON TO AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND SEE THE RESPONSE.
- 'Anne' is the pseudonym for the individual who writes this relationship advice column.
- 'Anne' bases her responses on her personal experiences and not on professional training or study. She does not represent herself to be a psychologist, therapist, counselor or professional helper of any sort. Her responses are offered from the perspective of a friend or mentor only.
- Anne intends her responses to provide general information to the readership of this website; answers should not be understood to be specific advice intended for any particular individual(s).
- Questions submitted to this column are not guaranteed to receive responses.
- No correspondence takes place.
- No ongoing relationship of any sort (including but not limited to any form of professional relationship) is implied or offered by 'Anne' to people submitting questions.
- 'Anne', Mental Help Net and CenterSite, LLC make no warranties, express or implied, about the information presented in this column. 'Anne' and Mental Help Net disclaim any and all merchantability or warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or liability in connection with the use or misuse of this service.
- Always consult with your psychotherapist, physician, or psychiatrist first before changing any aspect of your treatment regimen. Do not stop your medication or change the dose of your medication without first consulting with your physician.